水曜日, 2月 25, 2009

Home-back // Differences

I am going to establish a Filipino-ism: "Home-back." As opposed to "Back home." You know, you have "Back home," so why you not have "home-back"? Ha?

Home-back: the effect of reminiscing constantly over where home was for the last 6 months. This happens all the time for me, or at least ever since college. I reminisce over all the great times I had in Japan, even over the time I went with my economics class to Nagoya and when, well after that, we had a cake party to celebrate my professor for being so generous to us. I think about 7-Eleven and Japanese convenience stores (LAWSON's!!!), when we went to Lawson at 1:30 AM in the morning, me, Katie, and Tiki... oh... memories..

Red bean bread rolls... want... 食べたい。。。

Even as I was on my way home from the Paris club, I could not help but reminisce over Japan. This time was specifically 'cause they don't have anything, ANYTHING open 24 hours, except for this one little market across from where Melissa lives, God bless the guy who works there overnight despite all of Paris's very intrusive government probably strongly urging him not to. He allowed me to re-hydrate myself, and not for the asinine club price of 9 euros which is probably more than 10 dollars.

There are fundamental differences between French and Japanese culture, but one of them being this: there is something so good about how in Japan you are held back from having what you want for so long, and then you have it and it tastes so much better in the future. It is important to say that this doesn't work under all circumstances. However, in Japan it works so frequently and so well. For instance--almost all those snacks and FRESH PASTRIES in Japanese 7-Eleven stores have very little sugar. Still, find a more delicious snack in the world than the Yawaraka yellow pound cake thing that tastes like a Filipino dessert and nothing like pound cake. Find it. Good luck! French pastries are the shit, yes, if I'm not allergic to them. But they rely on sugar. And trust me, this wears on you when you go to 7-Eleven and have these delicious, filling snacks, but then play frisbee and are so hungry during the game and then you have a 15-minute downhill but still 15-minute bike ride home to your homestay where a delicious dinner is being very quickly prepared for you but is SOOOOO delicious that adjectives just aren't worth the time. I might as well omit "delicious." Just SOOOOOO. It was so wonderful. And that feeling of holding back, of waiting through the W = work = F·d (force times distance) exerted through awesome frisbee on the fuel of amazing 7-Eleven snacks that still provided very little sugar, to have a great dinner that made you feel good for being so healthy and was so delicious at the same time... just, so, good.

In France it's different. You still hold back, but I'm not sure at all that I'm necessarily getting something good for what I'm holding back for. And that's the problem I'm dealing with now. Sometime the slingshot has to snap back. I wonder whether I'm pulling back too far, pulling back just enough and taking a lot of time to do it, or just taking a lot of time to not really pull back very far.

We'll see.

1 件のコメント:

  1. WRONG turns out that if F is a non-constant function of t, then simply multiplying doesnt work, and you have to use $\int_{t_1}^{t_2} dt F(t)$. Now if your path is a closed loop and F is a vector field that's continuous everywhere, then your work along the function can be solved for exactly via Green's theorem which I'm not in the mood to tex out.

    返信削除

Leave a comment.
Laisse-moi un commentaire.